You may not realize it, but there are many reasons it makes sense to list your house during the holiday season. Did you laugh as you read that? Sure, it seems silly to even think about with the current market and the busyness that comes along with the holiday season… but hear us out!
Here are 6 reasons why selling your home during the holiday season makes sense:
- Buyers are ready to start the new year as homeowners, finally leaving renting in the past for good. Building wealth and gaining control of finances is high up on many people’s resolutions list and homeownership can help buyers find that freedom.
- Even though the market has shifted to favor buyers, there still aren’t enough homes on the market to keep up with buyer demand. According to Nadia Evangelou, Senior Economist & Director of Forecasting at the National Association of Realtors (NAR) “There’s still this gap between demand and supply because we were underbuilding for many years. . . . So now we see demand is slowing, but it still outpaces supply.” (Keeping Current Matters)
- Millennials are in the market. They are driving homebuying demand today, and many are eager to make a purchase as serious buyers. Chief Economist at First American Mark Fleming explains: “While not the frenzy of 2021, the largest living generation, the Millennials, will continue to age into their prime home-buying years, creating a demographic tailwind for the housing market.” (Keeping Current Matters)
- Decorated homes attract buyers. Homes that are sparking with holiday lights allow buyers to imagine what it may be like living there and making it their own. If a buyer is taking time to house hunt and check out homes during the holidays, you know they are serious.
- You’re in control. This time of year can be stressful and busy, but if you’re listing your home you have the advantage to schedule showings and open houses that are convenient and work with your schedule.
- Rent is continuing to rise which is encouraging people to start considering buying a home. According to an article by Zillow, “Over the next 12 months, rents are expected to grow more than inflation, the stock market and home values.”
So, believe it or not, your home may be the #1 item on someone’s Christmas list this year! If you’ve been thinking about selling or waiting to hold off until the new year, let’s make a move and get started now.